Monday, October 4, 2010

Master Cleanse - Day 8

With the end in sight, okay through a telescope, but in sight just the same, I type triumphantly knowing that I am not going to fall through the cracks! I am not going to be on the side of the "couldn't do its". Rather, as I approach the final days, I can hear that flag song playing in my ears, waving me on...

Talking about the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet/Fast. I won't tell lies, it wasn't easy, but then, it wasn't that difficult either. You actually don't need skills, you can do it. The next one I do will be with Maple Syrup I have managed to import by the gallon! Going through those little bottles at the rate of 1 bottle every 2 days makes it an expensive local purchase but I will share a little secret with you..Pick n Pay sells the exact same thing as the Health Shop for half the price! Only bought one bottle right at the end, because Wednesday will be the last day - DAY 10!

The weekend breezed by with Hubby and me taking a trip to Uvongo where we visited a very nicely stocked Bonsai Nursery. He settled on a Baobab (so cute, but immature and needing a bit of work and obviously a lot of time), a Karoo Boer Boon tree and a sweeping Juniper. He bagged some clever ideas on how to bonsai a bougainvillea (but purchasing that was Sunday's excursion). On the way home he decided he was feeling hungry and wouldn't make it home to fire up the braai in time to fortify himself, so we forced an emergency pitstop, making an unhealthy detour and stocked up on some Steers 'burgers and chips. I, on the other hand, tried hard to keep the self-righteous expression from my face as I downed the last of my packed "lemonade" and chased it down with a mineral water, stoutly refusing kind offers my way. I sauntered casually away from the outside table while Hubby scoffed his 'burger and chips to explore the usual basket ware, bead work and tablecloths on offer, alongside butter avos and bananas.

Did you know you can freeze bananas and then blend them into smoothies once you have run them under water just to get the white frost off to facilitate easy peeling. A blender or smoothie maker is a wonderful gadget, especially if you haven't the time to "juice" fruits in the morning. I like to plonk paw paw or papaya into the jug, add a couple of frozen bananas, a handful of strawberries and a pear, then whizz that up to creamy consistency. A little added cold filtered water makes it very drinkable! Fruit, fruit juice or fruit smoothies are imperative first thing in the morning up to lunchtime (not recommended after lunch because the fruit on a tummy filled with proteins or even salads will just sit there and putrefy). Why? Well in the early hours of the morning, and up to midday, your body is in elimination mode. Fruit aids elimination. Thereafter, you need to fortify and supplement with FOOD or veggie juices. But then, I'm sure you know this.

It's been so wonderful to cut up little morsels of organic veg which my garden offers up every now and then. Not in vast quantities, mind, but enough for salads, cut up and attractively arranged, a snippet of some chard, some frilly red lettuce, tiny slivers of spring onions, my own little tomatoes (yellow rosa and red ones), garnished with fresh herbs such as oregano, basil and artistically finished with thin spikes of garlic chive. Add some olives, some pickled mushrooms (I sliced up a punnet of ordinary mushrooms last week and crammed them into a jar, mixed up some vinegar, a dash of olive oil, mustard seeds, salt and honey to taste and poured this dressing over before tightly closing the lid and replacing in the 'fridge). Pickled mushrooms are quick to make and make a lovely salad enhancement. Leftover braaied chicken from the weekend will be sliced over the top of this salad and Voila! Tonight's repast for Hubby and Mom.

Me? I'm just drinking Lemonade and when that's finished, then herbal laxative tea - through my teeth, because it isn't pleasant. Not by a long shot. Tomorrow..tomorrow is Tuesday - Day 9 but I am still waiting for that 'Walkin' on Sunshine' feeling. Hasn't happened yet, but I am poised in anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment