Friday, October 1, 2010

The Master Cleanse - Day 5 The Halfway Mark

Oh bliss! Today is Friday and that means it's the 5th Day of the Lemonade Cleanse.
Drinking the tea last night was a pleasant experience, simply because we had a friend over for dinner. His late wife was a very dear friend of mine and although I wasn't eating, it was a pleasure to cook for the two men. Mom's dinner was an organic butternut and sweet potato soup with small selection of dinner rolls, which she was more than happy with as she really doesn't enjoy pasta, and, being 85 I don't make a big issue if there are things she honestly isn't happy with.

I tossed fresh pasta with basil pesto, added the tiniest and cutest little Roma tomatoes I have ever seen, roughly sliced 3 buttery avos, lightly steamed and chilled prawns and served this with a gratings of fresh Parmesan and black pepper. They had a warm roll selection and ate with gusto, their conversation so animated and intense that they did not even notice when I removed the large serving bowl from between them (after they had helped themselves to thirds!) and quietly replaced it with a cheese platter accompanand by little garlic and rosemary crostini and a confit of figs in light syrup.

Illy plunger coffee and little puddings with cherry preserve on top and hidden inside, dusted with a light shower of chocolate, brought the evening to a warm and convivial close as we bowed heads and thanked the Lord for all the new things He has planned for our friend. I sipped peppermint tea and then the herbal laxative tea and really and truly, apart from feeling a little tempted, felt quite comfortable chatting and sipping my herbal brew. It's easy to forget for instance when your fingers are sticky with chocolate, or you are slicing avos, that you can't taste and lick. Not even to see if there is enough salt in the pasta dish.

This morning the salt water went down the way it always does - with claws, dragging and kicking till the last drop. Well, not really, I never get to the last drop, I sort of leave about 1/2 cupful of salt water in the bottle, because it stubbornly refuses to get past the back of my tongue. Ack!

I feel good, not great, just good. I have energy and plan to shampoo carpets this afternoon instead of having a nap (that's a good sign isn't it?). Halfway to 10 Days and with the weekend in sight, that's enough reason to be upbeat. Sadly I won't be able to share my Hubby's Birthday Dinner with him tonight, but I sure will cook that Peri-Peri Calamari with Chourico Lemon and Parsley from the recipe he proudly sent a couple of days ago. I can do this, I can sip my herb brew and flash-fry marinated baby calimari tubes into hot Verlaque Bird's Eye Chili oil and butter and watch as the butter foams and curls it brown at the edges. I can do this because I have watched the Tooth Fairy!

No comments:

Post a Comment